Ungrateful Finches

  • Jim Armstrong
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2007
      George and I were kidding last week that it is getting expensive to
      keep the Goldfinches of various ilks in Nijer seed.
      I have two socks that I fill every morning and lately there is usually
      just a little left the next day.
      Yesterday the little boogers discovered two sunflower plants that had
      volunteered in my tomato barrels. By this afternoon, one is
      completely stripped of foliage and most of its flowers and the other
      about half gone. This before my very eyes.
      I've never seen this in all the years of feeding them. Anyone else?
    • John Lace
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 13, 2007
        Hi Jim,
        Our Lesser Goldfinches ate most of the early leaves off our sunflowers this spring but the sunflowers grew new leaves faster than they could be eaten and bloomed marvelously.
        John Lace
        Grass Valley, CA

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14, 2007
          For the last several years we routinely have had Lesser Goldfinches eat
          (really EAT) the leaves of our Echinacea plants. Sometimes only the
          spines are left. At first I thought it was major insect damage until I
          saw them actually doing it. They're so small they can perch and tear at
          the same time. The new thing this year is they have recently discovered
          the hulled sunflower seed kernels feeder (it used to just get medium
          small birds such as titmice and nuthatches, and one very determined
          female Acorn Woodpecker as customers).
          Maureen