Bald Eagle and Semipalmated Sandpiper

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2007
      Hi all,

      For the past few days my yahoogroups account has been down, now I have it
      reactivated. Apologies for the late report on the Bald Eagle.

      Since at least Saturday the 4th of August there has been a Bald Eagle just
      south of the Little River Post Office. It is eating hatch year Western Gulls
      on the island offshore, and then hiding in the trees when the gulls get to
      it. It is a young bird, probably hatched in either 2005 or 2006 on Santa
      Catalina Island and I know that because it is tagged on both wings with
      bright orange patagial tags. Today I read the numbers on the tags, so will
      report when I get more information. This bird is probably best seen in the
      morning from behind the Little River Post Office. You might have to wait a
      bit before it flies out of the trees and searches over the islans.

      Also, Lisa Hug saw a hatch year Semipalmated Sandpiper at Virgin Creek Beach
      yesterday afternoon. We did not see it today. There was a Lesser Yellowlegs
      there today.

      Also, off Van Damme Beach State Park we saw one freshly fledged Rhinoceros
      Auklet and two freshly fledged Pigeon Guillemots today.

      Cheers, Ron

      Ron LeValley Photography

      Mendocino Coast Photographer Guild and Gallery

      301 North Main Street

      Fort Bragg California USA 95437

      Cell: 707/496-3326

      Gallery: 707/964-4706

      www.LeValleyPhoto.com <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/>

      Ron@...

      For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, contact
      Ron@...