Mendocino Coast- 10 August 2007

  • Cindy Lieurance
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2007
      Mendobirders:

      Today, Les Lieurance and I rambled around coastal Mendocino County.

      At Noyo Harbor in Fort Bragg we found 7 WANDERING TATTLERs, 27 BLACK
      TURNSTONEs, 3 WHIMBRELs, the usual PURPLE MARTINs and a few COMMON
      MERGANSERs.

      At the mouth of Virgin Creek in Fort Bragg we saw a RUDDY TURNSTONE,
      along with LEAST SANDPIPERs, WESTERN SANDPIPERs, SANDERLINGs,
      SEMIPALMATED PLOVERs, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERs, and WHIMBRELs.

      At Ten Mile Beach estuary we saw a lot of nervous-acting waders, the
      only additional ones to the list above being SPOTTED SANDPIPER and
      silent, distant dowitchers.

      At the mouth of the Garcia River (near the Point Arena Lighthouse) we
      saw many waders, including extremely distant dowitchers, phalaropes
      (the close ones were RED-NECKED PHALAROPEs), WILLETs, GREATER
      YELLOWLEGS, SANDERLINGs, LEAST SANDPIPERs, WESTERN SANDPIPERs and
      SEMIPALMATED PLOVERs. Fortunately, the BAIRD'S SANDPIPER flew over
      our heads, calling as it went. And a LESSER YELLOWLEGs landed
      briefly in front of us before flying off to the east. Two CASPIAN
      TERNs and a few COMMON LOONs also made an appearance there.

      We saw only 4 species of gulls all day – WESTERN, CALIFORNIA,
      HEERMAN'S and HERRING.

      - Cindy

      Cindy Lieurance
      San Francisco CA U.S.A.
      cindy at petrels dot com
      "Stolen property. If you steal property, you must report
      its fair market value in your income in the year you steal it
      unless in the same year, you return it to its rightful owner."
      - Page 32 of IRS Publication 525 (2006)