USTP Semipalmated Sandpipers

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3 9:40 AM
      Greetings Mendobirders- This morning George Chaniot, Matthew Matthiessen,
      and I birded the USTP oxidation ponds. The south pond has been reflooded,
      but now the north pond is being drained and there is some nice mud in the
      NW corner of that pond. There were a number of shorebirds there, but the
      highlights were 2 juvenile SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS. These birds can be
      easily studied in comparison to adjacent WESTERN and LEAST SANDPIPERS in an
      array of plumages. There was also a juvenile BAIRD'S SANDPIPER on the N
      pond and 2 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES were swimming there. Ducks included the
      continuing HOODED MERGANSER and GREATER SCAUP, and a CINNAMON TEAL. YELLOW
      WARBLERS continue to sing along the river and 3 GREAT EGRETS flew over, the
      first I have seen inland this fall.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482