JULY 29, 2007 PELAGIC TRIP

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 8:55 PM
      Hi, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journey's pelagic trip from Fort Bragg on Sunday, July 29,
      2007 kicked off the seabird season on the north coast. Even though the
      seas were very nice the day prior to our trip, we were not so lucky.
      Swells and wind made the day somewhat difficult, but we did make it to
      the canyon and to the Tolo Banks. Highlights of the day included:
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS, PINK-FOOTED and SOOTY SHEARWATERS; POMARINE and
      PARASITIC JAEGERS; SABINE'S GULLS; COMMON MURRE, PIGEON GUILLEMOT,
      CASSIN'S and RHINOCEROS AUKLETS. In the morning,five PURPLE MARTINS
      were in the trees at the harbor while an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER was
      calling. See notes below for details about other birding in the county.

      We thank the participants and leaders of the July 29th trip: Scott
      Terrill, Linda Terrill, Lisa Hug, David Vanderpluym, Don Doolittle, Jon
      Dunn, and Debra Shearwater. Our next trips from Fort Bragg with spaces
      available are: August 9, 10, 26; September 5 & 16. The August 12th trip
      is SOLD OUT, and has a waiting list. The complete species list follows.

      PACIFIC LOON-1
      COMMON LOON-3
      CLARK'S GREBE-1
      WESTERN/CLARK'S GREBE-1
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-23
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-20
      SOOTY SHEARWATER-120
      BROWN PELICAN-60
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT-75
      PELAGIC CORMORANT-8
      WANDERING TATTLER-2
      BLACK TURNSTONE-8
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE-36
      POMARINE JAEGER-1
      PARASITIC JAEGER-2
      HEERMANN'S GULL-30
      CALIFORNIA GULL-50
      WESTERN GULL-225
      SABINE'S GULL-2
      ELEGANT TERN-1
      CASPIAN TERN-1
      COMMON MURRE-400
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT-10
      CASSIN'S AUKLET-6
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET-10
      OSPREY-1, offshore
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION-10
      STELLER'S SEA LION-1
      HARBOR SEAL-3

      BIRDING IN MENDOCINO COUNTY:

      While driving north to Fort Bragg, Don Doolittle and I stopped at the
      Ukiah Sewer Ponds on July 28th. It was the middle of the day, and very
      hot. Species present included: GREATER SCAUP, WESTERN, LEAST, and
      SPOTTED SANDPIPER, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, and YELLOW WARBLER singing in
      the willows. We cut across to the west on Low Gap Road (dirt) from
      Ukiah. The only bird notable in the heat, was a single male MOUNTAIN
      QUAIL which Don spotted, standing on the side of the road.

      On July 30th, Don and I birded our way south to Bodega Bay from Fort
      Bragg along Highway 1. It certainly must be one of the most scenic
      drives along the west coast! At the intersection of Highway 1 and
      Spring Grove Road, a solitary juvenile BAND-TAILED PIGEON was present.
      This short road also produced: Wrentit, California Quail, Olive-sided
      Flycatcher, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, White-crowned and Song
      Sparrows, and American Goldfinch.

      At Navarro Road, things were very busy. We found a nice flock of birds
      within the first 100 yards that included: 2 juvenile GRAY JAYS, WESTERN
      SCRUB and STELLER'S JAYS, BUSHTITS, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATHER, WESTERN WOOD
      PEEWEE, WILSON'S WARBLERS (6), HUTTON'S VIREO (3), CASSIN'S VIREO (1),
      CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE, PYGMY NUTHATCH, DOWNY WOODPECKER, WRENTIT,
      PURPLE FINCH, HERMIT and SWAINSON'S THRUSHES.

      A short jaunt up Mountain View Road produced RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES.

      At Miner Hole Road, the wind had really picked up. So, finding
      passerines was not as productive. We added WINTER WRENS and
      PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER to our day list. We ran into David VanderPluym
      who told us about a SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER on Lighthouse Road at the
      mouth of the river, near Point Arena. So, we zipped over there, and
      found the Semi-palm sandpiper there. Then, we headed south for Bodega
      Bay where we would join the boat trip the next day.

      Good birding,
      Debi Shearwater

      Debra Love Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys