July 29 Fort Bragg Pelagic

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2007
      below, I attempt to summarize the voyage.

      "According to Curtis Marantz, the pelagic trip was not particularly
      great. Maybe Chuck or Matthew could let us know the details.
      Sabine's Gull was the only bird of "county listing" interest to me.
      That means it was fairly ordinary."

      For much of the trip Curtis was either leaning over the back of the
      boat or sleeping, so from his perspective the trip probably "was not
      particularly great". For the visiting birders from Denver and Reno
      the trip was a huge success. I don't have the official numbers that
      the leaders will be providing, but we did see good numbers of
      Black-footed Albatross and Sooty Shearwaters. There were a few
      Pink-footed Shearwaters, 2 Parasitic Jaegers, 1 Pomarine Jaeger, at
      least 2 Sabine's Gulls, an Elegant Tern and usual numbers of the
      usual birds. However, there were spirited games of volleyball and
      shuffleboard and the pool-side catered buffet was five-star.

      Otherwise, the trip was admittedly ordinary. Jerry White, Matthew
      Matthiessen and I were hoping for that really rare pelagic bird that
      never appeared, but we were certainly in the right habitat.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...