USTP 7/27

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27 10:22 AM
      Greetings Mendobirders- George Chaniot and I birded the Ukiah Sewage
      Treatment Plant early this morning. There were some new birds on the ponds
      and birding is starting to pick up a little bit inland (see George's post
      about Lake Mendocino yesterday). On the north pond, presently fully
      flooded, there was a CLARK'S GREBE, the continuing male GREATER SCAUP, and
      a HOODED MERGANSER in very confusing molt. It is probably an adult
      female. There were 2 juvenile CALIFORNIA GULLS and a single juvenile
      WESTERN GULL milling on and over the ponds. Shorebirds included SPOTTED,
      LEAST and WESTERN SANDPIPERS, a GREATER YELLOWLEGS, and 7 LONG-BILLED
      DOWITCHERS. They were mostly along the north edge of the south pond where
      there is some really nice muddy habitat due to an apparent water leak
      between the middle and south ponds. At least 2 SWAINSON'S THRUSHES and
      several YELLOW WARBLERS are still singing along the river.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...