Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 26, 2007
      Thu, 26 Jul 2007 -- There was a smattering of migrant shorebirds at Lake
      Mendocino this morning: a GREATER YELLOWLEGS and a BAIRD'S SANDPIPER at the
      south boat ramp. This is the earliest sighting of Baird's Sandpiper on
      record for the interior county. At the inlet were 5 WESTERN SANDPIPERS, 5
      LEAST SANDPIPERS, and a SPOTTED SANDPIPER. There was a RING-BILLED GULL
      and a group of CALIFORNIA GULLS at the south end.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      Full list: Pied-billed Grebe, 1; Western/Clark's Grebe(24/10), 266;
      Double-crested Cormorant, 1; Great Blue Heron, 1; Green Heron, 1; Canada
      Goose, 134; Mallard, 92; Common Merganser, 4; Killdeer, 3; Greater
      Yellowlegs, 1; Spotted Sandpiper,1; Western Sandpiper, 5; Least Sandpiper,
      5; Baird's Sandpiper, 1; Ring-billed Gull, 1; California Gull, 11
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 30, 2007
        Thu, 29 Nov 2007 -- This morning I birded Lake Mendocino and found a few
        interesting species: There was a MEW GULL at the south boat ramp area,two
        HERRING GULLS in the north end of the lake, a SNOW GOOSE and a CACKLING
        GOOSE on the shore at Pomo B, an adult BALD EAGLE at the Mesa, a pair of
        CANVASBACKS at the Mesa, and a COMMON LOON at Perry Creek Cove. Later in
        the day there was an Aleutian-like CACKLING GOOSE among the 75 honkers at
        the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 7, 2007
          Fri, 07 Dec 2007 -- This morning at Lake Mendocino there were a few birds
          of CBC interest:
          BONAPARTE'S GULL, 1, southmost end of the Lake, Area 3.
          CACKLING GEESE, 26, south of the South Boat Ramp. Flew to the north shore
          near Oak Grove Parking Lot, Area 2
          ROSS'S GOOSE, 1, with the Cacklers., Area 2
          ROCK WREN, 1, Coyote Dam between markers 004 and 005, Area 2
          SNOWY EGRET, 1, Pomo A, Area 2.
          HERRING GULL, 1 adult, Pomo A, Area 2.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 11, 2008
            Wed, 09 Jul 2008 -- I did a survey of the Lake Mendocino on Wednesday.
            There was little of note except a few returning migrants: an adult
            RING-BILLED GULL and two adult CALIFORNIA GULLS at the south marina, and two
            adult LEAST SANDPIPERS at Pomo A.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA
          • George Chaniot
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
              Fri, 27 Feb 2009 -- I got out to the lake between rains today. The water
              level has gone up to an elevation of 721.2' from a low of 711.4' on the
              10th, but the water is turbid and there is a fair amount of floating debris.
              Bird numbers are down except for widgeon, scaup, and gulls. TREE SWALLOWS
              were cruising about everywhere, and I saw one VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW.
              There was a group of gulls on the mud near the south ramp with birds
              streaming to and from Ukiah. Among the California and Ring-billed Gulls was
              a first winter GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL and a 1st winter bird which I take to be
              a THAYER'S GULL but on the very pale side. [ smaller than Glaucous-winged,
              larger than California, bill relatively small, bill all black, wing coverts
              neatly speckled, secondaries slightly darker than coverts in flight,
              primaries cafe au lait and finely edged with light color.] Others may want
              to take a look at this bird.
              Last night Comet Lulin was visible with binoculars in Leo. Tonight, if
              it stays clear, it should be visible very close to Regulus, the brightest
              star in Leo.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA

              Western Grebe 3
              Clark's Grebe 1
              Western/Clark's Grebe 132
              Canada Goose 88
              Cackling Goose 9
              Mallard 138
              Northern Shoveler 1
              American Wigeon 91
              Greater Scaup 5
              scaup sp 259 most apparently Greater
              Bufflehead 3
              Common Merganser 2
              Ruddy Duck 6
              Bald Eagle 1 adult
              American Coot 200
              Killdeer 1
              Ring-billed Gull 33
              California Gull 107
              Thayer's Gull? 1 pale 1st winter
              Herring Gull 1 adult
              Glaucous-winged Gull 1 1st winter
            • Bob Keiffer
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 19, 2009
                18 April 2009 - Saturday - With the weather warming there was lots of human activity on the lake ...skiers, kayakers, fishermen, etc. by late morning. However, I was able to spot a mature and immature BALD EAGLE on the east side, along with a single BONAPARTE'S GULL. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

              • George Chaniot
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 28, 2011
                  Thu, 28 Jul 2011 -- This morning I covered Lake Mendocino and peered into
                  every corner - at least telescopically. The water level is up to the inlet
                  road and the Oak Grove parking lot, but thankfully the lake is not
                  overfilled like last summer. I found no shorebird habitat anywhere, but
                  there might be some deep in Hunter's Cove or Perry Cove. Canada Geese and
                  Western/Clark's Grebes predominate. Of summer interest were two BONAPARTE'S
                  GULLS in the south half and one HERRING GULL in the north half.

                  George Chaniot
                  Potter Valley, MEN, CA

                  Western Grebe 15
                  Clark's Grebe 12
                  Aechmophorus sp. 61
                  Great Egret 1
                  Canada Goose 195
                  Mallard 24
                  Common Merganser 6
                  Osprey 2
                  Bonaparte's Gull 2
                  Herring Gull 1
                  Belted Kingfisher 1
                • George Chaniot
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
                    Mon, 05 Sep 2011 -- This afternoon there were two FORSTER'S TERNS flying
                    around Lake Mendocino and diving into the waters. They circulated around
                    the north half of the lake and could probably be seen from any good vantage
                    point. I saw them from the Mesa Day-Use Area. Not much else was present due
                    to the high degree of boat activity.

                    George Chaniot
                    Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                  • George Chaniot
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 11, 2011
                      Fri, 11 Nov 2011 -- I did a complete survey of Lake Mendocino today.
                      Western/Clake's Grebes topped the list with about 622 birds. American Coots
                      were next with 353, and there was an unusual number of Double-crested
                      Cormorants, 182. Of particular interest was a first-winter THAYER'S GULL at
                      the south marina, a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE and a SNOW GOOSE at the Oak
                      Grove Parking Lot, and some COMMON GOLDENEYES near the boat-in campground.
                      On the return trip to Potter Valley I found, alas, a roadkilled
                      RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW along Potter Valley Road.

                      George Chaniot
                      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                    • George Chaniot
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 17, 2014
                        Mon, 11 Aug 2014 -- At the north end of Lake Mendocino more mudflats are
                        opening up as the lake level drops. This morning there was a flock of about
                        130 shorebirds - mostly Western Sandpipers, a few Least Sandpipers and two
                        WILSON'S PHALAROPES.

                        George Chaniot
                        Potter Valley, MEN, CA