Roadrunner - late report

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2007
      17 June 2007 - I just received information about a Greater Roadrunner
      observed on this date last month in Mendocino County. The observer
      has a place in Point Arena and spends a lot of time in the
      county. His verbal report (to Jerry White) sounds credible. The
      observer saw the bird on Mountain View Road (Boonville to Manchester)
      on Sunday, 17 June, near mile marker 17. If I recall the area
      correctly this is coastal scrub type habitat - blue blossom
      (Ceanothus sp.), etc. I have heard of a roadrunner in past years
      near Whitethorn, Humboldt County, which would be similar habitat
      (this is on the way to Shelter Cove).

      The observer got a clear look at the one bird, saying he saw good
      color on the face and felt that it was an adult. There was
      apparently another bird in the area that he did not get a good look
      at, but it was the same size and color as the identified bird. The
      second bird disappeared into the brush as it was approached.

      Even though this report is near a month old, I suspect that any
      roadrunners observed in June may have be nesting or had newly fledged
      juveniles in the area. I would venture to say that it is VERY
      possible that the birds are still in the vicinity. I encourage any
      birders to check out this area ... the birds would most likely be
      silent and foraging at ground level. My limited experience with
      Mendocino County Roadrunners is that they are extremely wily .... not
      the typical tame "road-runners" from the Southwest.

      This is a VERY difficult species to find in Mendocino County ...and
      the number of occurrences had dropped to almost zero in the past two
      decades. Please post if you have positive or negative results from a
      search of the area. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road