Mendocino Coast 2/25

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2001
      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 -- After getting rained out yesterday, Matthew Matthiessen
      and I birded the coast from Arena Cove to Ward Avenue. Some of the
      highlights from south to north: the LAYSAN ALBATROSS in Arena Cove, 10
      BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES and 30 NORTHERN FULMARS out from the Point Arena
      lighthouse, a EURASIAN WIGEON and PEREGRINE FALCON near Miner Hole Road,
      ~200 TUNDRA SWANS on the Garcia flats, a PRAIRIE FALCON and a FERRUGINOUS
      HAWK north of Irish Beach at mm 26.92, another PEREGRINE FALCON at the
      Mendocino Headlands, an ANCIENT MURRELET, 25 WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS, and a
      THAYER'S GULL at Laguna Point, and 8 BLACK SCOTERS at Ward Avenue. We saw
      more White-winged and Black Scoters each than Surf Scoters today. -- George
      Chaniot