Black-headed Grosbeak

  • Jim Armstrong
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 17, 2007
      I have a larger than normal crop of young Black-headed Grosbeaks this
      year. For the last couple of weeks I have noticed a begging/feeding
      behavior I've missed before: The youngsters have a distinct shivering
      movement, with their wings in sort of a trailing position. Both mom
      and dad will feed them with just eaten seeds, even with the baby on
      the feeder with them.
      Several sources mention that the young leave the nest after 11 or 12
      days, but can't fly for two more weeks. Do they simply stay near the
      nest or run around on the ground?
    • Barbara E. Dolan
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 24, 2007
        To all; this adult male is still around. At my gazebo like feeder of
        sunflower seeds, 3 different times on 12-22-07. Also, was on my potted
        silk trees perched in the sun with a lot of other yard birds around. I
        was able to see the orange over the eye coming from the back of the
        orange head and neck area that is behind the black head. He has a lemon
        yellow lower abdomen patch distinct from the orange upper chest. The
        white patches in the wing coverts look well developed. Will report if
        continues to be seen as the storms pass through. Barbara, ukiah.

        WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.

      • Barbara E. Dolan
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 26, 2007
          To all; The bird was feeding this morning 12-26-07at 9:00AM. He stayed
          3 minutes and fed continuously. He has an interesting feature
          bilaterally at his "chin sides". On either side of his lower mandible
          he has a small tuft of white. Barbara, Ukiah.

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
            At the feeder this 8:30AM. Storm is coming so will see if it continues
            to hang around.Barbara , Ukiah.

            WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.

          • Becky Stenberg
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
              I'm new to the group too, been lurking for about 3 months, ever since
              my own sighting of a Black-headed Grosbeak at my seed feeder prompted
              me to see if it was an unusual sighting. I live in Glen Blair,
              which is about 7 miles up Pudding Creek.
              Recently I've been bike riding up Little Valley from the Pudding Creek
              end. Yesterday I saw 3 White-tailed Kites, the most I've ever seen
              together, around the middle of the valley. Also 4 Ring-necked Ducks
              on the smaller pond (1 drake and 3 ladies). They flushed toward the
              big pond, there are probably more there, but I haven't ventured to
              ride that far yet.

              Becky Stenberg
              Glen Blair
            • Barbara E. Dolan
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                Pre-storm Update;

                The Grosbeak was seem at my feeder on 1-01-08 at 10:20am. It stayed 4
                minutes and ate about 44 sunflower seeds, removing the husks easily.
                The next visit seen was 1-05-08. It came at 2:52PM. It stayed 2
                minutes, only to be flushed by a WSJA.Barbara , Ukiah.

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 21, 2008
                  The Black-headed Grosbeak that has been coming to my yard since 12/09/07
                  was seen again on 4/19(6:10PM) and 4/21/086:50AM. A triangle of skin is
                  observeable on the right neck of the bird from the throat to the
                  shoulder right of midline. The nape of the neck is also thin of
                  feathering. The feathers and retrices in some areas look like
                  cellophane brown . It appears to be eating well and attentive to
                  surroundings. Barbara, Ukiah.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 15, 2008
                    To all; on 12-14-08, 2:30PM my feeder was visited by a Black-headed
                    Grosbeak. We are hoping it stays and / or is visible so it could be
                    included in our CBC. I will keep the black sunflower seeds flowing. bd

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                      This bird arrived at 7:55 A.M. 1-3-09.

                      I had not seen it since 12-28-08 at 1:30PM. Its arrival times have been between 7-8:50 AM and 1:30PM and 3:30PM. It appears to be missing feathering on its collar at the nape, but otherwise looks and behaves okay.

                      It has been flying off toward Perkins each time it is flushed.

                      It ate only 11 seeds and then got flushed off by noisy WSJA .

                      I have had an influx of House Finches of all colors-yellowish, oranges and reds on the males. Only a few females. One reddish male today surprised me with a bill that was very long and curved downgoing. I would guess the length 1 and ¼" to 1 and ½ ". Does anyone know about this abnormality? It was feeding fine. Barbara

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 28, 2009
                        To all; the BHGB was seen the 8:00AM in my yard. This is the first
                        sighting/and visit since 1-9-09. I figure it has been feasting on the
                        berries around. It only stayed seconds on the feeder nearest the house.
                        It looked less ragged and the orange very bright. I was unable to see
                        if feathers had returned to its nape and collar . It had a previous loss
                        of feathers in the area.

                        I also have a returning and/ or another WHITE-THROATED SPARROW-TAN
                        STRIPE MORPH and was surprised to see again. The RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH
                        was seen coming down the tree on 1-24-09. It used to come to the suet
                        but it appears it its feeding more outside the yard. Barbara

                        WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.

                      • AlbionWood
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 5, 2009
                          5 May 2009 (Tuesday) - this morning we briefly had a male Black-Headed
                          Grosbeak in the front yard.

                          Tim Bray
                          Middle Ridge, Albion
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 5, 2009
                            Sun-Tue, 3-5 May 2009 -- We have had an adult male BHGB coming to feed
                            both at our yard and the south yard (with feeders) in Ocean Meadows Circle,
                            1/2 mi north of Ten Mile River for three days.

                            Also, the WHT-THROATED SPARROW  is still coming to the seed as of today,
                            5 May.

                            Alas, I have NOT seen any of the TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS for at least
                            one + week.  As I recall, the TRBL's left briefly from the pond across Hwy 1 last
                            year, so hopefully they will return shortly to our area.

                            Karen Havlena
                            Ten Mile Area
                            North of Fort Bragg, CA

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 7, 2013
                              Sun, 7 April 2013 -- This morning Jim called me to the kitchen to see a male
                              Black-headed Grosbeak feeding where I just put out seed.  I think this is only
                              the fourth one for Ocean Meadows and the first time one has been in our yard.
                              They don't stick around here on the bare, coastal bench for long.

                              Jim and Karen Havlena
                              North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca