Short Notes on Peregrine Falcon, Tricolored Blackbird & Others

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2007
      Hi Birders -- In the past 24 hours, I have seen several slices of bird life that may
      be of interest. A Peregrine Falcon that I see occasionally over Seaside beach
      was flying laboriously north over our bluff. It was carrying a Pigeon Guillemot,
      with its red feet dangling!
      A male Tricolored Blackbird was "singing" his raspy song for a female in a shrub
      behind our house. This suggests possible breeding for both the falcon and the
      blackbird.
      Up the coast at milepost 83.30, just south of Hardy Creek mouth, there is a large,
      pointy rock that cormorants, etc, rest upon. On the very, steep side facing Hwy 1,
      there is a family of Black Oystercatchers. I saw one parent bring food to the
      rocky nestsite, where the other parent and THREE fluffy chicks were waiting for
      lunch.
      Purple Martins are still flying around the Juan Creek bridge.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg