viable egg report

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2007
      Dear Helen et al,

      Advice on the egg came in from several sources, including suggestions
      to keep it moist and to help it break out of the shell. Bob Keiffer
      said it most certainly was a goose egg, some of which are as big as
      eagle eggs. He said a raven wouldn't be able to carry an egg that large
      without putting a hole in the shell. My friend was quite sure it was
      not a goose egg. Turkey was proposed as a possibility. Ron LeValley
      asked for a picture but digital camera problems won out.

      One internet source said that it could take 5 days for such an egg to
      hatch, others said that if it didn't hatch within in 24 hours it would
      die. Alida Morzenti, an eminent raptor expert with Bird Rescue in Santa
      Rosa, offered to take it and hatch it out.

      The pecking stopped so my friend decided to help it out of the egg, and
      it turned out to be dead. She has saved the egg, which is mostly intact
      except for a hole, and was planning to take it down to Alan Grass at
      the fish hatchery for i.d. I haven't heard the final word yet. I think
      she's going to give me the egg eventually, though if it's a golden
      eagle egg I'll have to turn it over to HREC or someone who can legally
      hold it.

      Thanks for everyone's advice and interest.

      Once again I'd like to request that emails that might be of general
      interest be sent to everyone on Mendobirds rather than just the
      original writer.

      Kate