Re: [Mendobirds] Osprey in Potter Valley?

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2007
      Yes, it's an Osprey - pretty hard to confuse it with anything else. Nice shots, by the way. :)

      Feather

    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2007
        Elaine and all, Ospreys are uncommon but regular in Potter Valley.
        All of my records are between March 12 and Oct 23. I've seen them mostly
        along the Russian River, but they also visit ponds away the river. I'm not
        aware of them ever nesting in the valley, but they do nest annually in the
        Eel River drainage, and ocassionally at Lake Mendocino. In 2005 there were
        at least three active nests between Van Arsdale Dam and Soda Creek.
        Currently there is a nest between the Pioneer Bridge and Trout Creek, and
        the road to Lake Pilsbury goes right beneath it. I have seen ospreys cross
        over the hill between the Eel and the Russian, but I don't know if the
        nesting birds do that regularly.
        The photo of the Northern Shrike is outstanding.
        It looks identical in plumage to the bird seen by Kelly & Phil Austin and
        myself on March 25 about a mile and a half away and is probably the same
        bird. You saw it over a month before Al DeMartini, so it's the first
        record ever for Potter Valley.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA