Osprey in Potter Valley?

  • Elaine Lindelef
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2007
      As I was out and about this morning, I saw a large bird outline in
      what I think of as my "Cormorant Tree", a tree that hangs over the
      Russian River - a perfect hangout if you like wet fishy snacks. I
      haven't seen any cormorants for a while, so I figured I'd snap a
      photo of a June sighting. But as I got closer, it became clear that
      it wasn't a cormorant. I think it's an osprey:

      This is in the main valley on the river between Burris and Pine. I've
      never seen an osprey here before, but I may just have been
      unobservant.

      Elaine Lindelef
    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2007
        Yes, it's an Osprey - pretty hard to confuse it with anything else. Nice shots, by the way. :)

        Feather

      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2007
          Elaine and all, Ospreys are uncommon but regular in Potter Valley.
          All of my records are between March 12 and Oct 23. I've seen them mostly
          along the Russian River, but they also visit ponds away the river. I'm not
          aware of them ever nesting in the valley, but they do nest annually in the
          Eel River drainage, and ocassionally at Lake Mendocino. In 2005 there were
          at least three active nests between Van Arsdale Dam and Soda Creek.
          Currently there is a nest between the Pioneer Bridge and Trout Creek, and
          the road to Lake Pilsbury goes right beneath it. I have seen ospreys cross
          over the hill between the Eel and the Russian, but I don't know if the
          nesting birds do that regularly.
          The photo of the Northern Shrike is outstanding.
          It looks identical in plumage to the bird seen by Kelly & Phil Austin and
          myself on March 25 about a mile and a half away and is probably the same
          bird. You saw it over a month before Al DeMartini, so it's the first
          record ever for Potter Valley.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA