more on viable egg

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2007
      Still hoping for word of golden eagle nest near Van Arsdale dam.

      My friend Jo wrote this today:

      Yes, I definitely know goose eggs.  Not big enough for sure.  You know,
      it is sooo bizarre if this is a Golden Eagle, but I'm thinking those
      ravens may very well have teamed up on the parents, with the intention
      of getting an egg.  We have a LOT of egg-loving ravens and crows and I
      have frequently seen them flying around here with eggs in their big
      mouths.  If they're starting to steal raptor eggs, they need to be
      stopped.

        It didn't make much progress last night, but a little at the bigger
      hole.   It seems to be pecking strategically in two spots and then
      maybe he'll more easily be able to break through in the middle of those
      two spots and have a big hole.  I've got a better "nest" set up for him
      now.  Although, I still didn't get a very good night's sleep.

      Kate
      463-0839

    • lakshmikary@netzero.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2007
        Hi Kate,
        Unfortunately the ravens/crows do steal eggs, they take most of our chickens eggs!
        On the bright side, when i first moved to Redwood Valley I saw one carrying a very large snake into a tree!
        One nice thing about the decline in (raven) population past few years is Ive seen a big return of nests/ babies of smaller birds.
        However , its not just the ravens/crows- when we lived in cloverdale we frequently saw/found baby birds taken from their nests by the bluejays.
        I was wondering about coming up with some sort of nesting place that would appeal to the smaller nesting birds where the crows/jays can reach them etc.
        Hope your friend has something suitable to feed her baby, seems he should've come out by now.
        Lynne