Purple Martins - Hopland

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2007
      30 May 2007 - Some of you may recall that a couple of springs ago UC
      Hopland Research & Extension Center had a pair of Purple Martins
      nesting (found by Chuck Vaughn) in a woodpecker cavity atop an old
      power pole. This pair fledged young ...but as I recall we did not
      know how many. Then PG&E wanted to replace the nest pole and an
      adjacent one with metal poles ...so we negotiated with PG&E to move
      the old poles a short ways away ... and then we added nest box
      structures to each. This year no purple martins were observed around
      the boxes... which was disappointing.

      However, today, I just found a pair nesting in a close-by cell tower
      structure ....it is only about 1/4 mile away so I believe it to be
      either the original pair or progeny of that pair. Hopefully, in
      future years martins will find and use the nest boxes. Purple
      Martins on the west coast, as opposed from east coast birds, have
      never or rarely used nest boxes. However, they have used man-made
      structures like certain PG&E insulators, pipes, drain holes under
      bridges, etc.

      Purple Martins are rather uncommon in the interior part of Mendocino
      County, and nesting is even more uncommon. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road