Brewer's Sparrow Not Seen 5/27/07

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2007
      Sunday morning, Jerry White, Jim and myself searched valiantly for
      Matthew's Brewer Sparrow, but we had no luck with it. We visited
      the east end of the boardwalk at Lk Cleone more than once, walked
      the outer edge of MacKerricher SP along Hwy 1, and then hiked up
      and down Ten Mile beach. Karen started at Ward Ave going north,
      while Jerry and Jim came down from the Ten Mile River. We looked
      all over the dunes.

      Consolation birds:
      There were a few phalaropes on the east side of Ten Mile bridge.
      Jerry thought that two of them were very likely Wilson's Phalaropes.
      They were whiter than the others, Jim said, but they did not have
      scopes. Jerry was pretty sure of the differences, saying that they
      had a different feeding pattern.
      After coming home, Jim and I went back to the river with our scopes,
      but only one Red-necked Phalarope remained.
      I (Karen) saw a single sandpiper on the southwest bank that was
      very likely an adult Baird's Sandpiper. The wing extension was quite
      long behind the tail tip, and it had light brown, streaky neck and upper
      breast. There was no rufous at all, and the scapulars and coverts
      were a dull brown with black centers. There were no white streaks at
      the sides of the mantle like Least, and the legs appeared to be dark.
      It disappeared when I moved the scope slightly, so Jim did not see it,
      and I did not see where it flew.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg