Clay-colored Sparrow & Pacific Golden-Plover

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2001
      The CLAY-COLORED SPARROW reported by Toby Tobkin yesterday at the
      Westport recycling center was still present today (Sat Nov10). I was
      able to get several brief but definitive looks at the bird this morning.
      Initially it was on the fenceline directly east of the building but
      moved to the brambles due north of the building. also at the recycling
      center was a BONAPARTE'S GULL on the pond.

      At Virgin Creek Beach there was an adult basic plumaged PACIFIC
      GOLDEN-PLOVER on one of the large rocks just off the beach. Also at
      Virgin Creek Beach was a RED-NECKED GREBE.

      From Laguna Point I had all three scoter species (two female BLACK
      SCOTERS and one male WHITE-WINGED SCOTER that was flying north) along
      with a skein of 25 BRANT. Also at Laguna Point were a RED-NECKED GREBE,
      three RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS, and several hundred loons (all PACIFIC
      except for a handfull each of COMMON and RED-THROATED). Finally, at
      Ward Ave were two male BLACK SCOTERS.

      Good Birding Ya'll
      - Matthew Matthiessen