PILEATED WOODPECKERS at Mendocino Woodlands

  • visitorbird
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2007
      Hi,

      I was visiting Mendocino Woodlands State Park last weekend and two
      PILEATED WOODPECKERS flew past the dining hall in Camp 1, landing
      briefly on a nearby stump. The first sighting was at 2:00 pm. Then
      they came through a second time about 4:30 pm. Are PIWOs known to be
      in that area?
      I've attended a weeklong camp in the same location for several
      years--at the end of June--but have never heard or seen PIWOs there
      before. I'm just wondering how recently they moved into the area.

      Judy Donaldson
      Capitola, CA