FWD: [nwcalbird] Colusa & Lake County

  • Rob Fowler
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2007
      Hi Mendo & Lake County birders,

      Below is a message I am forwarding to the appropriate list for Tom Leskiw:

      Greetings,

      My wife and I birded Colusa & Lake Counties Sat-Mon May 12-14. Details to
      follow later on highlights that included Lawrence's Goldfinch & Sage Sparrow
      in both counties (chiefly on Walker Ridge Road, about 5 miles north of Hwy
      20 & west of Bear Valley).

      However, I wanted to get the word out (in hope of confirmation) of a calling
      cuckoo at Rodman Slough in Lake County today (Mon May 14).

      Heard only, the bird was calling from 10:15-10:45 am. Location was on the
      west side of the slough, on the south side of the Lucerne-Nice cutoff, 200'
      south of the southern-most picnic table.

      It wasn't doing the rapid ku-ku-ku-ku call. Rather, it was doing a widely
      spaced 3 note call (last note being the lowest), vaguely reminiscent of an
      old-world cuckoo. Sandals, a wall of nettles & a tight schedule prevented
      getting a visual.

      I realize it might be regarded as a bit early for Yellow-billed Cuckoo but
      am confident that's what we heard...

      best,
      Tom Leskiw
      Eureka, CA