White-winged Scoters at Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2001
      Thu, 08 Nov 2001 -- This morning at about 9:00 there were two WHITE-WINGED
      SCOTERS at Lake Mendocino. They were in the middle of the north end between
      the Mesa and Pomo B and not associating with other ducks. I saw them from
      the tip of the Mesa, but if they stay, they will probably be visable from
      Pomo B in afternoon light. This is the first time I recollect seeing this
      species inland. Are there many inland records, Bob?
      There were also several HORNED GREBES among the Eared, several
      Hooded Mergansers, and increasing numbers of scaup. I also saw a very
      bright _ruber_ Red-breasted Sapsucker in the walnut trees of the Little
      Bear Group Camp.
      George Chaniot
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2004
        Sat, 18 Dec 2004 -- On the Ukiah Christmas Bird Count two parties
        independently saw WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS on Lake Mendocino. At about 10:00
        Geoff Heineken and I found a young male on the east shore between the Mesa
        and Barn Cove - visible from the Little Bear group campground. There was
        also a male EURASIAN WIGEON here among the 200 American Wigeons feeding
        along this shore.
        About 3:00 Ollie Kolkmann and Vishnu saw two White-winged Scoters
        on the west side of the lake near the Pomo A area. These were apparently
        both first-year males and possibly included the bird seen earlier. The only
        other record of this species on Lake Mendocino that I know of was a pair on
        8 Nov 2001 (Mendobirds message 223).
        The Ukiah CBC drew a beautiful, clear, warm day and set a new
        record of 127 species. I was a very fun and satisfying day to be afield.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA