Disappointing Nest

  • Jim Armstrong
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2007
      I am always delighted when I find an active nest in my yard.
      Yesterday an unnoticed accumulation of poop led me to a cavity in a
      dead branch about 30 feet up a Poplar tree.
      Binoculars, then a scope, showed three fairly well-grown chicks with a
      lot of interest in their surroundings. A little time turned up an
      early explorer fluttering around the nest, always in danger of falling
      from the tree.
      A parent would make really quick feeding approaches, with the chicks
      moving back in the hole to be fed, instead of leaning forward for
      first dibs as seems more common.
      I finally got a good look at Mom: Phooey, a Starling.
      Well, heck, I guess they don't know they were imported. Still
      interesting to watch.