Unusual sightings in Fort Bragg

  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2007
      Wednesday, May 2, 2007.
      At approximately 7:00 this evening I saw a Sage Thrasher feeding in the old GP lumber storage area just south of the path to Glass Beach, near the fork in the path where one branch goes off to the northwest.
      Shortly after that, I saw a Tropical Kingbird flying to and from the western end of the chainlink fence that separates Glass Beach from the old mill site. I am aware that TRKI are usually found along the coast during fall migration. However, I was able to study this bird with the sun behind me and clearly saw the following field marks: bright yellow feathers from the vent up the belly to the top of the chest where it met the light grey/whitish throat; notched tail with brown feathers to the outer edges (no white in tail); large bill about half the length of the head.
      Ironically, I misidentified this bird on the 2004 Mendocino Coast CBC (I reported a Western Kingbird by mistake because I failed to study the bird), so I have been very cautious when observing yellow-bellied kingbirds ever since.