Re: [Mendobirds] Lake County

  • Erica Fielder
    Message 1 of 160 , Apr 30, 2007
      My partner Larry Knowles and I attend Heron Days, too. On Sunday we
      kayaked up Kelsey Creek about .5 miles and flushed several times, both
      coming and going, two immature bald eagles and four male and two female
      wood ducks. We got great looks at all these birds. We were also on the
      first pontoon boat to find the horned grebe and got a great look at it.
      Heron Days was great.

      Erica Fielder
      On Apr 30, 2007, at 12:28 PM, Floyd Hayes wrote:

      > During the Heron Festival and Wildfowl Brunch at Clear
      > Lake State Park, an alternate (breeding) plumaged
      > HORNED GREBE was seen by several guides on both
      > Saturday the 28th (as reported to me by Susanne
      > Scholz) and Sunday the 29th (when I had good looks at
      > it). I heard a second-hand report of two AMERICAN
      > BITTERNS seen on Sunday and a first-hand report from a
      > non-birder of a swan (presumably a MUTE SWAN) at
      > Rodman Slough on Wednesday the 25th. Several dozen
      > WESTERN/CLARK'S GREBES were present over the weekend,
      > which was considerably more than the previous weekend.
      > As alluded to in a brief post a few weeks ago by Kate
      > Marianchild, most of the grebes on Clear Lake departed
      > after a mass fish mortality event--presumably due to
      > cold temperatures--back in March. It will be
      > interesting to see whether any grebes wind up breeding
      > this year.
      >
      > Belatedly I've seen some birds (plus a mammal) of
      > interest during my daily commute past Detert
      > Reservoir, including a BOBCAT on April 23, an adult
      > BALD EAGLE on April 20, a HORNED GREBE in about 90%
      > basic (winter) plumage on April 6, a pair of CINNAMON
      > TEAL on March 22, and an adult GOLDEN EAGLE feeding on
      > roadkill (I had to swerve to miss it) on March 20. A
      > pair of OSPREYS were nest building on a utility pole
      > on March 22 but within a few weeks the nest
      > disappeared, so I suspect it was removed by PG&E
      > employees.
      >
      > Floyd Hayes
      > Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County

      For more information on Erica Fielder Studio,
      please see my two websites:
      www.ericafielder-ecoartist.com
      www.birdfeederhat.org

      Erica Fielder Studio