Re: another bird i.d. question

  • jackson_us
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2007
      --- In Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com, Quince Amanda <vitreous2002@...>
      wrote:

      > I feed a large number of birds here where I live a
      > half hour NW of Willits.
      > Among my Mourning Doves this morning was what looked
      > like some sort of dove, but isn't in my bird books.
      > It is very dark, nearly black on its breast and
      > underparts. There are a few light feathers on the
      > throat and at the nape. It is speckled like a Mourning
      > Dove on the feathers near the tail, but is overall
      > darker in color than the other doves. I'm a middling
      > birder, but this bird has never made an appearance
      > before. Any ideas? Quince

      Hi Quince,
      Check out the Eurasian Collared-Dove in your book. It's an Old World
      Species that is rapidly spreading across the US. It has reached
      California and a small flock is residing in the Manchester area here
      on the coast. Looks like they've reached your area too.
      Regards, Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay