Re: [Mendobirds] another bird i.d. question

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2007
      I would like to request that when people reply to question(s) they
      choose "reply to all" so everyone can read the answer. (Or at least
      copy your answer to me, please).

      Thanks.

      Kate

      P.S. I had a pair of Lazuli Buntings yesterday. Also was interested to
      see a Western Bluebird perched on a high dead branch about 8 inches
      from a Kestrel. Both just hung out there watching the scenery together
      for 5 minutes or so, whereupon the Bluebird flew off. I guess Kestrels
      eat birds only occasionally.

      Also saw 1 Western Kingbird and 1 Bullock's Oriole, which I'd been
      hearing for a few days but not seeing. I love it when the migrants are
      back in force!

      On Apr 21, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Quince Amanda wrote:

      > I feed a large number of birds here where I live a
      > half hour NW of Willits.
      > Among my Mourning Doves this morning was what looked
      > like some sort of dove, but isn't in my bird books.
      > It is very dark, nearly black on its breast and
      > underparts. There are a few light feathers on the
      > throat and at the nape. It is speckled like a Mourning
      > Dove on the feathers near the tail, but is overall
      > darker in color than the other doves. I'm a middling
      > birder, but this bird has never made an appearance
      > before. Any ideas? Quince

    • jackson_us
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21, 2007
        --- In Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com, Quince Amanda <vitreous2002@...>
        wrote:

        > I feed a large number of birds here where I live a
        > half hour NW of Willits.
        > Among my Mourning Doves this morning was what looked
        > like some sort of dove, but isn't in my bird books.
        > It is very dark, nearly black on its breast and
        > underparts. There are a few light feathers on the
        > throat and at the nape. It is speckled like a Mourning
        > Dove on the feathers near the tail, but is overall
        > darker in color than the other doves. I'm a middling
        > birder, but this bird has never made an appearance
        > before. Any ideas? Quince

        Hi Quince,
        Check out the Eurasian Collared-Dove in your book. It's an Old World
        Species that is rapidly spreading across the US. It has reached
        California and a small flock is residing in the Manchester area here
        on the coast. Looks like they've reached your area too.
        Regards, Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay