Rock Sandpipers et al.

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22 6:13 PM
      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 -- Dorothy Tobkin reports 4 ROCK SANDPIPERS at Laguna
      Point among Surfbirds and Black Turnstones on a big rock to the north about
      halfway from the parking lot to the point. She also saw 11 HARLEQUIN DUCKS
      at Glass Beach in Fort Bragg.
      Ollie Kolkmann also saw a SABINE'S GULL from Laguna Point on Sun,
      18 Feb.
      The MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS are still on Pine Ave., Potter Valley, and
      yesterday I saw another male about 5 miles to the north in the fields just
      before Eel River Road starts up the hill. Near the summit of the hill
      MOUNTAIN QUAIL were "quarking", the first I've heard this year, and there
      was an AMERICAN DIPPER singing at Van Arsdale Dam.

      On 24 Oct 2000 I saw a radio-collared Greater White-fronted Goose
      on the vineyard pond near my home in Potter Valley. Since it was much
      larger than two other GWFG with it, I took it to be a "Tule" Goose. Today I
      heard back that V69 is indeed a Tule GWFG and was banded as an adult female
      in the Kahiltna River drainage 75 mile NW of Anchorage, Alaksa on 8 July
      1997. So she was at least four years old when sighted and pretty well
      travelled. Thanks again to Dr. Paul Springer for forwarding the information
      to the right people.

      Today I put on my website a copy of my list of the birds of Potter
      Valley, CA. It lists all of the species I am aware of ever occuring here
      and abundance codes for each month of the year. You can view it at the
      following URL:
      http://www.pacificsites.com/~chaniot/pvbirdsv2p1.html

      -- George Chaniot, Potter Valley, CA
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 2003
        Fri, 21 Nov 2003 -- Today Dorothy Tobkin saw three ROCK SANDPIPERS at
        Laguna Point at high tide. At Ward Avenue in Cleone she saw seven BLACK
        SCOTERS, eight RED-NECKED GREBES, and one BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE.