another bird i.d. question

  • Quince Amanda
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2007
      I feed a large number of birds here where I live a
      half hour NW of Willits.
      Among my Mourning Doves this morning was what looked
      like some sort of dove, but isn't in my bird books.
      It is very dark, nearly black on its breast and
      underparts. There are a few light feathers on the
      throat and at the nape. It is speckled like a Mourning
      Dove on the feathers near the tail, but is overall
      darker in color than the other doves. I'm a middling
      birder, but this bird has never made an appearance
      before. Any ideas? Quince

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Kate Marianchild
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21, 2007
        I would like to request that when people reply to question(s) they
        choose "reply to all" so everyone can read the answer. (Or at least
        copy your answer to me, please).

        Thanks.

        Kate

        P.S. I had a pair of Lazuli Buntings yesterday. Also was interested to
        see a Western Bluebird perched on a high dead branch about 8 inches
        from a Kestrel. Both just hung out there watching the scenery together
        for 5 minutes or so, whereupon the Bluebird flew off. I guess Kestrels
        eat birds only occasionally.

        Also saw 1 Western Kingbird and 1 Bullock's Oriole, which I'd been
        hearing for a few days but not seeing. I love it when the migrants are
        back in force!

        On Apr 21, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Quince Amanda wrote:

        > I feed a large number of birds here where I live a
        > half hour NW of Willits.
        > Among my Mourning Doves this morning was what looked
        > like some sort of dove, but isn't in my bird books.
        > It is very dark, nearly black on its breast and
        > underparts. There are a few light feathers on the
        > throat and at the nape. It is speckled like a Mourning
        > Dove on the feathers near the tail, but is overall
        > darker in color than the other doves. I'm a middling
        > birder, but this bird has never made an appearance
        > before. Any ideas? Quince

      • jackson_us
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 21, 2007
          --- In Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com, Quince Amanda <vitreous2002@...>
          wrote:

          > I feed a large number of birds here where I live a
          > half hour NW of Willits.
          > Among my Mourning Doves this morning was what looked
          > like some sort of dove, but isn't in my bird books.
          > It is very dark, nearly black on its breast and
          > underparts. There are a few light feathers on the
          > throat and at the nape. It is speckled like a Mourning
          > Dove on the feathers near the tail, but is overall
          > darker in color than the other doves. I'm a middling
          > birder, but this bird has never made an appearance
          > before. Any ideas? Quince

          Hi Quince,
          Check out the Eurasian Collared-Dove in your book. It's an Old World
          Species that is rapidly spreading across the US. It has reached
          California and a small flock is residing in the Manchester area here
          on the coast. Looks like they've reached your area too.
          Regards, Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay