Semipalmated Plover?

  • mendobill1
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2007
      Thursday, April 19, I was attending an event at Redwood Valley
      Cellars. It was about 6:30 PM, drizzly and dusky. I saw what I'm
      pretty sure was a Semipalmated Plover in the picnic/garden area. I
      believe it had only one neckband. It also didn't have the white band
      through the eye area.

      I thought this unusual as it was out of its normal habitat.

      I have seen a killdeer before. This bird appeared to be smaller and
      didn't pretend to be crippled when I inadvertantly approached it. Nor
      did it fly off, just sort of ran away along the paved walkways.

      I would appreciate anyone confirming this bird either way if they are
      in that area and can stop by.

      Thanks.

      Bill Schuhmann