Feeder Observations in the Wind

  • Jim Armstrong
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2007
      As windy a spring day as I can remember; my low-reading anemometer
      topped 30 MPH in a rain squall this afternoon. The finches are having
      trouble hanging on to their (thistle) socks.
      Mixed in with my normal sparrow hordes the last few days have been
      both male and female Brown-headed Cowbirds, the first in several years.
      Also had a super bright and spiffy male Black-headed Grosbeak just
      now, the first of the year here.
      I have been having some female Red-winged Blackbirds to go with the
      much more numerous males. Two or three of these have markedly orange-
      buff throats, something I don't remember noticing before; only Sibley
      of my several books mentions this coloration and then only as "throat
      often washed pinkish-orange."