Mendocino and Lake County First Arrivals

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2007
      Hi Birders. On Friday the 13th I heard a WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE at my parent's place in Potter Valley, and have heard it several times since. According to the database posted at <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mendobirds/database> this is the earliest record in inland Mendocino County. The previous early record was on April 20th, 2005 at the Hopland Field Station, recorded by Chuck Vaughn.

      On Saturday the 14th Austin Booth and I had a NASHVILLE WARBLER up at Cow Mountain, as well as several Warbling Vireos. Apparently this was the first one in inland Mendocino County this year. A drive around Potter Valley yielded many pairs of Western Kingbirds. There was a single Tricolored Blackbird at the end of Burris Lane, and several more along Pine Avenue. I'm not sure what their status in inland Mendocino county is. There was no sign of the Burrowing Owl at the end of Burris Lane, which I last saw it on March 29th.

      Yesterday the 15th Ryan Terrill, Austin Booth and I headed up to Hull Mountain. The low snow levels made it possible to drive all the way to the top, although the road is in bad condition and a high clearance vehicle is necessary. There were very few birds up there, though 'THICK-BILLED' FOX SPARROWS are in, as were 'AUDUBON'S' YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS. At Lake Pilsbury we also heard a PURPLE MARTIN, which, if it had been in Mendocino County, would have been the first one this year as well as the earliest arrival. I'm not sure what their status is up there, but these may have been the first arrivals this year for Lake County.

      There has been no sign of the Calliope Hummingbird since Saturday morning.

      Good birding,

      Matt Brady
      Potter Valley, MEN

      http://mail.yahoo.com