White-throated Sparrows

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
      Sorry for the late posting, but last Sat, Oct 27, there were two
      WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS on private property just north of the Van Damme
      beach. One individual was immature, the other adult. The adult was the
      first tan-striped form I've seen in the county. Neither bird has been
      seen since the 27th.

      - Matthew Matthiessen
    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
        17 April 2006 - Monday - This morning I went out to feed my chickens which
        have a large pen to roam and in this fenced area I have a large brush pile
        for birds. I always spread some scratch feed near the brush pile for the
        birds. In the fall I had one White-throated Sparrow for a few day but no
        evidence of throughout the winter. This morning I noticed many
        Golden-crowned Sparrows immediately going after the feed so I decided to
        stand quietly and watch. Within a minute or so one White-throated Sparrow
        arrived (white-striped variety), then another of the same arrived, and then
        a third duller-colored bird which I believe to be a tan-striped variety
        arrived. The one White-throated, though smaller in size than the
        Golden-crowns, is definitely dominant and did not hesitate to run a G-c
        away. My guess is that these birds are in northward migration and are
        maybe waiting out the stormy period. Also, if you take Golden-crowned
        Sparrow for granted because they are common and here all winter long
        ---look closely at them now as their head stripe and colors are
        vivid. Anyway, keep an eye on your feeders. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        Theodore Roosevelt

      • David Jensen
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
          17 April 2006 - Monday
          Bob's note about the White-throated sparrow prompted me to share the
          following observations. I have hosted a White-Crowned Sparrow all winter
          here in Fort Bragg(there were 3 for a time in December, but 2 stayed only
          briefly). It is still with me, but I expect it to leave with the
          Golden-crowns any day now. I still have one Fox Sparrow, down from a max of
          about 7.
          One final observation: if I could be any bird, it most definitely would NOT
          be a Pine Siskin. I have had many visit my feeders over the winter, and they
          seem to make a hobby out of dying. They regularly hit the windows, turn up
          dead in the alley, and tonight there is one on the patio who will likely not
          see tomorrow. Thank goodness there are so many of them!

          > 17 April 2006 - Monday - This morning I went out to feed my chickens which
          > have a large pen to roam and in this fenced area I have a large brush pile
          > for birds. I always spread some scratch feed near the brush pile for the
          > birds. In the fall I had one White-throated Sparrow for a few day but no
          > evidence of throughout the winter. This morning I noticed many
          > Golden-crowned Sparrows immediately going after the feed so I decided to
          > stand quietly and watch. Within a minute or so one White-throated
          > Sparrow
          > arrived (white-striped variety), then another of the same arrived, and
          > then
          > a third duller-colored bird which I believe to be a tan-striped variety
          > arrived. The one White-throated, though smaller in size than the
          > Golden-crowns, is definitely dominant and did not hesitate to run a G-c
          > away. My guess is that these birds are in northward migration and are
          > maybe waiting out the stormy period. Also, if you take Golden-crowned
          > Sparrow for granted because they are common and here all winter long
          > ---look closely at them now as their head stripe and colors are
          > vivid. Anyway, keep an eye on your feeders. Good birding. Bob Keiffer
          >
          > Robert J. Keiffer
          > Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          > UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          > 4070 University Road
          > Hopland, CA 95449
          > (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
          > HREC website: http://danrrec.ucdavis.edu/hopland/home_page.html
          >
          > "It is not the critic who counts... not the one who points out how the
          > strong person stumbles... or where the doer of deeds could have done
          > better. The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena."
          > Theodore Roosevelt

          > these addresses:
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • AlbionWood
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
            Monday, 4/17/2006 - This morning we had a pair of flycatchers perching
            on the power lines crossing the open meadow near the end of Middle
            Ridge, Albion. They were newcomers, and from size and habits I thought
            they might be Kingbirds; but they were a little small, and when I
            (briefly) got the scope on them, there was no sign of yellow underneath
            - instead, a dull rufous colour. They were very active, constantly
            flying down to the ground and then back up to the wires, so it was
            difficult to get a good look; and they were too far for the binoculars.
            Soon they wandered off to the north, and I did not see them again.
            Pretty sure they were Say's Phoebes. Does that sound right?

            Also today was the first day this year that I have heard the
            Red-shouldered Hawk yelping high overhead, and an Acorn Woodpecker came
            to the suet feeder - the first one I have ever seen on this property (no
            oaks here!) - elbowing his way through a cloud of Stellar's and Scrub
            Jays.

            Hurray for Spring at last!

            Tim Bray
            Middle Ridge, Albion
          • AlbionWood
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 18, 2006
              This is embarrassing: Those weren't Say's Phoebes after all, but
              Western Bluebirds. They showed up again today, but this time I was
              ready and not only got the scope on them, I got the camera on the
              scope. The photos clearly show the distinctive pattern of chestnut on
              the breast and sides, and also reveal the blue back that I couldn't make
              out by eye (although it's pretty subtle). Apparently the backlighting
              fooled my eye, and the one bird I got a glimpse of in the scope
              yesterday was the female... when I saw the male today, with his bright
              chestnut breast, it was a smack-to-the-forehead moment. D'oh!

              I'll just go sit in the corner for a while now.
              Homer
            • richhubie
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                Sunday 2 November 2008. I had 3 White-throated Sparrows today (late
                morning)at the Little River Airport. They were in a mixed sparrow flock
                of mainly Golden-crowned Sparrows. There were 2 white-striped and 1 tan-
                striped. The most I've ever seen at once has been one.

                Richard Hubacek
              • George Chaniot
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
                  Mon, 03 Nov 2008 -- I also had three WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS at my feeders
                  here in Potter Valley today. This is an unusual concentration here. One was
                  white-striped and two were tan-striped.

                  George Chaniot
                  Potter Valley, MEN, CA

                  > From: "richhubie" <richhubie@...>
                  > Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 02:40:54 -0000
                  > To: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [Mendobirds] White-throated Sparrows
                  >
                  > Sunday 2 November 2008. I had 3 White-throated Sparrows today (late
                  > morning)at the Little River Airport. They were in a mixed sparrow flock
                  > of mainly Golden-crowned Sparrows. There were 2 white-striped and 1 tan-
                  > striped. The most I've ever seen at once has been one.
                  >
                  > Richard Hubacek
                • George Chaniot
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
                    Mon, 28 Feb 2011 -- Today I confirmed what I have been suspecting for some
                    time : there are at least _four_ White-throated Sparrows coming to my
                    feeders here in Potter Valley. Today I had three tan-stripes in view at
                    once, and I got to compare fine points of their plumage. There is also a
                    white-stripe, and I suspect that there may be more than one of them.
                    I used to think of White-throated Sparrows as being irregular and rare
                    here; now I think of them as regular and fairly common.

                    George Chaniot
                    Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                  • Richard
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
                      Tue Apr 5, 2011---Back on November 23, 2010, I posted that I had at least 4 WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS at my feeders here in Little River. Today there are still at least 2 present. I have been able to look over the birds at my feeders and find anywhere from 4 to 2 White-throated Sparrows present during that period of time. In the past they have shown-up for no more then a week and then leave. Will be listening for their song.

                      Richard Hubacek
                      Little River