Return of the Red Shoulders, Bob Keiffer, BW

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2007
      I'd given up on "my" Red-shouldered Hawk nest (thought I'd scared them
      off by watching one day) but we're in biz over here! Yes, it seems to
      be a late year. I notice that the tree is only now leafy enough to
      provide some cover, so maybe that factor overrode the light factor.
      (Bob Keiffer explained to us the other day on the "Ecology of the Oak
      Woodlands" field trip that the arrival of Orange-crowned Warblers
      appears to coincide with the appearance of tassels on oak trees. That
      was a great field trip. Thank you Bob!)

      Jim, I also had a one-chick family that year, but the same pair had two
      chicks that fledged successfully last year in a different, hard-to-see
      nest. I wonder how many it will be this year.

      For those of you who don't know it yet (I don't think I've mentioned
      this here before), the current issue of Birder's World features my
      Red-shouldered Hawk diary from spring 2005, with Jon Klein's incredible
      photographs. One of Jon's photos is on the cover, and we have six pages
      on the inside. The article got edited in half, so it's missing some of
      the interesting hawk behavior, but it's still pretty exciting for me.

      Kate