RE: [Mendobirds] Return of the Red Shoulders

  • Barbara E. Dolan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
      Yes, Jim there is a distinct pair that has been in my trees and sky over
      Standley street.Calling to each other tree to tree, pairing and calling
      legs down at times since Feb. On previous years they were always
      calling at the most West hills . Unfortunately some oak tree trimming
      near the Creek last week, but the report is the "nests "(and we do not
      know if it is theirs) remained un harmed purposely. Will keep a look out
      of course as usual. Barbara, uki.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2007
        I'd given up on "my" Red-shouldered Hawk nest (thought I'd scared them
        off by watching one day) but we're in biz over here! Yes, it seems to
        be a late year. I notice that the tree is only now leafy enough to
        provide some cover, so maybe that factor overrode the light factor.
        (Bob Keiffer explained to us the other day on the "Ecology of the Oak
        Woodlands" field trip that the arrival of Orange-crowned Warblers
        appears to coincide with the appearance of tassels on oak trees. That
        was a great field trip. Thank you Bob!)

        Jim, I also had a one-chick family that year, but the same pair had two
        chicks that fledged successfully last year in a different, hard-to-see
        nest. I wonder how many it will be this year.

        For those of you who don't know it yet (I don't think I've mentioned
        this here before), the current issue of Birder's World features my
        Red-shouldered Hawk diary from spring 2005, with Jon Klein's incredible
        photographs. One of Jon's photos is on the cover, and we have six pages
        on the inside. The article got edited in half, so it's missing some of
        the interesting hawk behavior, but it's still pretty exciting for me.

        Kate