Return of the Red Shoulders

  • Jim Armstrong
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
      At the same time Kate was "raising" her Red Shouldered Hawk chick(s)
      two years ago, I had a one-baby family. They nested elsewhere last
      year, but have been visiting their old nest this week.
      If I recall all of the '05 chicks hatched in the last week of April,
      putting this year's (at 33+/- days incubation) quite a bit behind.
      Any others in some phase of nesting this year?
    • Barbara E. Dolan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
        Yes, Jim there is a distinct pair that has been in my trees and sky over
        Standley street.Calling to each other tree to tree, pairing and calling
        legs down at times since Feb. On previous years they were always
        calling at the most West hills . Unfortunately some oak tree trimming
        near the Creek last week, but the report is the "nests "(and we do not
        know if it is theirs) remained un harmed purposely. Will keep a look out
        of course as usual. Barbara, uki.

        At the same time Kate was "raising" her Red Shouldered Hawk chick(s)
        two years ago, I had a one-baby family. They nested elsewhere last
        year, but have been visiting their old nest this week.
        If I recall all of the '05 chicks hatched in the last week of April,
        putting this year's (at 33+/- days incubation) quite a bit behind.
        Any others in some phase of nesting this year?

        WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.

      • Kate Marianchild
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2007
          I'd given up on "my" Red-shouldered Hawk nest (thought I'd scared them
          off by watching one day) but we're in biz over here! Yes, it seems to
          be a late year. I notice that the tree is only now leafy enough to
          provide some cover, so maybe that factor overrode the light factor.
          (Bob Keiffer explained to us the other day on the "Ecology of the Oak
          Woodlands" field trip that the arrival of Orange-crowned Warblers
          appears to coincide with the appearance of tassels on oak trees. That
          was a great field trip. Thank you Bob!)

          Jim, I also had a one-chick family that year, but the same pair had two
          chicks that fledged successfully last year in a different, hard-to-see
          nest. I wonder how many it will be this year.

          For those of you who don't know it yet (I don't think I've mentioned
          this here before), the current issue of Birder's World features my
          Red-shouldered Hawk diary from spring 2005, with Jon Klein's incredible
          photographs. One of Jon's photos is on the cover, and we have six pages
          on the inside. The article got edited in half, so it's missing some of
          the interesting hawk behavior, but it's still pretty exciting for me.

          Kate