wild turkeys and blue grouse

  • mohagan1984
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2007
      Gobblepalooza 2007 is in full swing at our place these days. During
      the winter, we had only 3 faithful toms who came to eat seed I put out
      for ground feeders. But a week or so ago, a switch was flipped (the
      solstice?) and now we have 3 - 4 toms in full display (I call it full
      sail) and gobble mode most of the day, along with 6 - 8 females and
      what we think are several young (yearling?) males. They snooze and
      have dust baths under our oak trees, the young males chase each other
      around in circles, hitting each other with their wings and trying to
      bite each other's throats. Lively times - Spring clearly has sprung
      for the turkeys. Do only males have the "horn" at the top of the beak
      (that turns into the drooping flap along their beaks)? Is that a way
      to distinguish females from young males without a breast beard?

      I also saw a blue grouse along side the road on Parducci Road as I was
      driving home around 6 pm on Friday. It was much lower down the road
      (closer to town) this time below the fir forest where I saw the grouse
      last August.