Northern Shrike Continues

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2007
      Sun, 25 Mar 2007 -- 12:25-13:15 Today I, along with Kelly and Phil Austin,
      refound the shrike first reported on 18 Mar by Al DeMartini. It was a bit
      distant for confidence, but I read it as an adult NORTHERN SHRIKE also: as
      big as a robin, narrow mask with eye extending above the edge, mask not
      extending above the bill, very pale above and below, rump paler than the
      back, perhaps some lighter color at the base of the lower mandible.
      It was on the north side of the end Burris Lane, Potter Valley, at
      the high point above the pond. It sat on fenceposts of the fence along the
      east side of the vineyard, and it sat in the bare tops of willows along the
      gully that runs across the pasture and through the vineyard. It also sat
      in the tops of two valley oaks and returned several times to the tops of
      the willows. We saw it make two captures of mouse-like creatures one of
      which it appeared to cache deep in the leafy willow along the gulch in the
      vineyard. The caching behavior gives some hope that it may stay around. I
      have only seen one other shrike in Potter Valley, a Loggerhead, in the
      early seventies.
      There were several groups of TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS around the
      vineyard intermittently, and several small groups of males were chorusing
      from the tops of the oaks. The stake-out BURROWING OWL was in its usual
      spot.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA