hooded mergansers

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2007
      There were two Hooded Mergansers, one male and one female, at the
      Beckstoffer Pond south of Talmadge Saturday afternoon at about 3 p.m.
      The male's crest was up for a long time as he washed and preened. With
      light shining through it was beautiful.

      Off Twining Road along a stream I also saw a site where a
      Red-shouldered Hawk had recently been devoured - on a thick horizontal
      branch about 10 feet off the ground under fairly dense canopy. Feathers
      on the ground and in the bushes caught my attention, and, looking up, I
      saw a 2-foot section of branch littered with feathers. Who could/would
      do that? Great Horned Owl? There was a large nest high in a tree nearby
      - possibly an RSHA nest.

      Also, in the same spot, I got my first sight of the crown on an
      orange-crowned warbler. It was bathing in the stream.

      Kate