Loons, Loons, Loons!

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2001
      Sat Oct 27, I spent an hour scoping from Laguna Point. As Matt Williams
      mentioned in his post, the loons were streaming by. In one hour I had
      four COMMON LOONS, four RED-THROATED LOONS, and 2,600 PACIFIC LOONS. It
      was nigh impossible to scope and count loons as the the breaks between
      groups of loons were few in number and short in duration. If you took
      your eye off the loons to scope further out you were likely to lose your
      place in the line.

      Also at Laguna Point were six BONAPARTE'S GULLS, one RED-NECKED GREBE,
      and one RED-BREASTED MERGANSER. At Virgin Creek Beach were three
      HARLEQUIN DUCKS, three DUNLIN, and another RED-NECKED GREBE.

      observed feeding on rocks near shore. Most commonly I have seen them on
      the flat rocks at Virgin Creek Beach but occasionally have seen them at
      Glass Beach as well.

      - Matthew Matthiessen