Osprey pair near Fort Bragg

  • Kaulike
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2007
      Hi all,

      A pair of OSPREY have been circling over our house, about 1 mile east
      on hwy 20 near the feed lot, for a couple of days now. They have done
      this every spring for the past three or four years. They glide in
      circles at altitudes between 500 and 2000 feet, probably catching
      thermals from the asphalt highway, communicating back and forth. It
      is my belief that they nest in the relatively thick woods between
      Dorffi Road and the Noyo river, as they usually disappear to the
      northwest.

      Toward midsummer, as usual, we expect to see one of them (mom?) appear
      with a very loud baby learning to fly. I'll post again when the
      youngster arrives.