Is Al still around?

  • Rob Fowler
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2007
      Hi Mendobirders,
      I just wanted to know if Al B. Tross was still around at Point Arena?
      I'm driving south tommorow and wanted to stop by and see him if he's
      still around....

      Thanks,
      Rob Fowler
      Arcata
    • Ken Holmes
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2007
        I got a photo of Al just last Friday. The stories of him interacting
        with the surfers is true. He was just floating around and
        occasionally preening but as this surfer returned to shore, Al
        definitely rode over to check him out and the surfer stopped to
        return the gesture and pass the time of day. I'll bet the surfers
        are developing quite a legend of this amazing bird. A passerby
        surfer on the pier told me that the leg injury seems to be permanent
        but seems not to be hindering Al. Picture was taken about 3:30 PM
        and it's posted in these albums. I haven't heard if anyone has
        developed a history of Al's ETD in the spring. Good luck.

        Ken Holmes