Prairie Falcon

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2001
      Yesterday morning, Sun Oct 28, there was a PRAIRIE FALCON at the end of
      Burris Lane. It was on a rock on the hillside north of the vineyard on
      the north side of Burris Lane and could be seen from the parking area
      overlooking the pond. The bird was consuming a breakfast of what
      appeared to be ground-squirrel.

      From Burris Lane I drove up Boardman Ridge to Hull Mtn then took M-61
      back down. There were hundreds of Pine Siskins up on top but the only
      bird of interest was a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE at Goat Rock.

      - Matthew Matthiessen
    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20, 2006
        20 April 2006 - 9:45 AM - one adult Prairie Falcon was observed soaring
        with Turkey Vultures over University Road on the UC Hopland Research &
        Extension Center. The bird was missing some primary feathers (Primaries
        #7,8,and 9 I think) on the right wing. After soaring it headed in a
        northerly direction and disappeared in the direction of the River Road
        between Hopland and Talmage. Good Birding. Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        Theodore Roosevelt

      • gchaniot
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2013
          Wed, 13 Nov 2013 -- This afternoon I saw a PRAIRIE FALCON near the pond at the end of Burris Lane.  First it was sitting, then it took off to dive on a Golden Eagle that came by.  Next it spiraled up on a thermal until I could no longer see it in the scope. I presume it glided out and is no longer in the vicinity.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA