Pine siskin

  • doloreslolo
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2007
      It's been several days since I saw and photographed two pine siskins dining on our thistle
      bag feeder (see Middletown album) with a bevy of goldfinches. I hoped, at the time, that
      they might become regular visitors, but then, after several days with not another sign of
      them, figured that I'd probably see them no more. Well, I haven't seen "them" but, happily,
      this morning, when I looked out the kitchen window I was happy to see not two, but just
      one lone siskin among all the goldfinch hanging on that popular thistle bag! I'm hoping
      that he and his ilk will decide to become "regulars" in our back yard.

      LoLo
    • redwoodsinger
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 21, 2017

        Fort Bragg, CA off of Airport road 2:00 pm Sat 10/21/17

        We had 70-100 Pine Siskins at our feeders today - quite a flock.  Lots of Golden-crowned sparrows too.  So cute!

        Pinus spinus (great name, too)  :-)

        Per Audubon's site "Very erratic in its winter occurrence, coming south in huge numbers some years, very scarce in others. After big invasion winters, a few may remain to nest south of normal range. Migrates by day, in flocks."

        Sarah and Dave Flaim