Mountain Bluebird/Indigo Bunting

  • mendobill1
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21 5:59 PM
      I stirred up a mountain bluebird (?) laying in the gravel of my drive
      5 feet of Highway 175 in McDowell Valley at 5:00 PM today 2/21/07
      (dusky, cloudy conditions). I was only 15 feet from him when he
      decided to fly off. He hovered near an old oak and finally landed in
      a low branch.

      Due to his size, I thought at first it was an indigo bunting. He was
      no more than 6 inches long (if that), and his wings were more rounded
      and shorter than you'd expect from mountain bluebird. I couldn't ID his
      bill. There were no other colors than blue.

      Could this have been a rare occurrence of a bunting? Sibley Guide
      says it's possible. Or should I just accept that it was a
      mountain bluebird in all its glory. What a sight!

      Bill Schuhmann