Yellow-billed Magpie

  • Jim Armstrong
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2007
      This is a little late, but worth posting I think.
      A neighbor of mine on Burris Lane in Potter Valley had a good look
      last Monday (3/12) morning at what she is sure was a Yellow-billed
      Magpie. This was a long look at about ten or fifteen feet of a fairly
      tame bird; she was too excited to think to get her camera.
      Given the quality of seeing and the distinctiveness of this species,
      it seems unlikely she was mistaken. George, Mike Brady and/or I have
      looked in the area every day since with no result. I have alerted
      almost all of the residents on the lane to keep an eye out.
      George points out that the nearest known breeding group of YBMA's is
      in High Valley north of Clearlake Oaks in Lake County, perhaps 25
      miles as the Magpie flies from PV. So it is possible that this
      individual could be any place in the area.
      Also, given its relative tameness, it would be worth knowing if there
      is a captive population anywhere near.
    • grebeman2
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2007
        Stan Beach saw a Magpie(assumed Yellow-billed) at Navy Camp, Lake
        Pillsbury yesterday afternoon.
        This is a first for Lake County at that location.

        Could this be the Potter Valley magpie? Jerry White