Re: [Mendobirds] Miner Hole Road

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2007
      Greetings Mendobirders,

      Today (Friday Feb. 16) we headed down the coast to Point Arena to see
      Al, but he was not in evidence. We tried from about 10:00 - 10:30 and
      again after lunch, but no luck. Then we went out Miner Hole Road and
      though we did not quite know how to bird that area, we did see the
      Ferruginous Hawks (4), a Harrier, and one beautiful Peregrine Falcon who
      obligingly flew up close and soared around us for a few minutes. No
      Tundra Swans - were they supposed to be in the meadow, or do you have to
      wade the river to bird the other side near the mouth? I didn't have
      waders. There were two sizeable flocks of Egrets, but they were too
      distant for me to make a positive ID.

      Great place for hawk-watching. One of the Ferruginous perched on the
      ground for a while, just like the book says they do. Are the hills (on
      the other side of the fence) off-limits?

      Cheers,
      Tim in Albion

      Oak & Thorn - 2 hours of Celtic music
      Sundays, 9-11 Pacific time, KZYX&Z
      90.7 FM Philo, 91.5 FM Willits & Ukiah, 88.1 FM Fort Bragg
      www.kzyx.org