Re: [Mendobirds] Burrowing Owl in Lake County

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2007
      Fri, 16 Feb 2007 -- I decided to move quickly on this owl since I have
      missed others in Lake Co. several times. Jerry's directions led me right
      to the spot at 08:10, and there was the BURROWING OWL on the lip of the
      bank directly above some burrow openings. A nice look at close range.
      Thanks, Jerry.
      I drove into the Hidden Valley Treatment Ponds, but I was told that
      there was no public access for birding. So I left, but not without poaching
      a quick peek: there were quite a few diving ducks including several dozen
      Canvasbacks. I went out Butts Canyon Road as far as Detert Reservoir and
      saw several TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS in a flock of mixed blackbirds along the
      way.
      Next I went up to Borax Lake to try my hand at the Tufted Duck
      challenge. After about an hour of scoping scaup, I was unable to find one
      either. My rule of thumb of 1 Tufted Duck per 1000 scaup is going to have
      to be revised downward by an order of magnitude. What is it about the
      flora and fauna of Borax Lake that makes it so attractive to scaup? No
      wonder that we don't have any scaup on Lake Mendocino - they've been sucked
      into the Borax Lake vortex.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA