Miner Hole Road

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2007
      Tue, 13 Feb 2007 -- Dorothy Tobkin reports two BLUE-WINGED TEAL and several
      EURASIAN WIGEONS in Hathaway Creek along Miner Hole Road. There were
      thirteen species of waterfowl in that area including about 120 Tundra Swans
      and a large group of CACKLING GEESE. At Arena Cove the LAYSAN ALBATROSS
      was in its usual place at about 2:30 P.M.
    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2007
        Greetings Mendobirders,

        Today (Friday Feb. 16) we headed down the coast to Point Arena to see
        Al, but he was not in evidence. We tried from about 10:00 - 10:30 and
        again after lunch, but no luck. Then we went out Miner Hole Road and
        though we did not quite know how to bird that area, we did see the
        Ferruginous Hawks (4), a Harrier, and one beautiful Peregrine Falcon who
        obligingly flew up close and soared around us for a few minutes. No
        Tundra Swans - were they supposed to be in the meadow, or do you have to
        wade the river to bird the other side near the mouth? I didn't have
        waders. There were two sizeable flocks of Egrets, but they were too
        distant for me to make a positive ID.

        Great place for hawk-watching. One of the Ferruginous perched on the
        ground for a while, just like the book says they do. Are the hills (on
        the other side of the fence) off-limits?

        Cheers,
        Tim in Albion

        Oak & Thorn - 2 hours of Celtic music
        Sundays, 9-11 Pacific time, KZYX&Z
        90.7 FM Philo, 91.5 FM Willits & Ukiah, 88.1 FM Fort Bragg
        www.kzyx.org