The Biggest Year

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2007
      Jerry White has written an account of his record-breaking
      Mendocino County Big Year in 2005. You can read this account from
      the "Files" section of the Mendobirds webpage:
      Enjoy,
      George Chaniot
    • Maria Wetzel
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13, 2007
        I live in town in Fort Bragg and I am watching birds more closely
        than before since this is the first year I've been involved in
        Project Feeder Watch. I'm wondering if what I have now seen 3 times
        is unusual or common. I have seen both White Crowned and Golden
        Crowned Sparrows feeding at a platform feeder with Pine Siskins. Both
        species have grabbed a Siskin by a wing tip, twirl it around almost
        360 degrees and let it go.

        I'm curious if this is something I've just missed before; how common is this?

        Thanks,
        Maria